Saturday, June 30, 2012

Yoga Is Not A Cure For Depression - But It Can Help


Big rectangles in bright colors scatter the dimly lit room.  On each of them lies a full grown adult, eyes closed.  There is something child-like, something reminiscent of kindergarten nap time about a yoga class.  It's hard not to look around at everybody in the room.  Why are you here?  Do you feel as bad as I do?  I lie back too and close my eyes, trying to calm my turbulent mind and wait for the class to begin. 

In the isolating world of depression lying on your mat in a room full of people can provide the basic human connection that so quickly slips away when depression creeps in.  I feel so desperately alone but the thought of making plans with someone seems completely overwhelming; I take refuge at the yoga studio.  Teachers offer kind words, gentle encouragement and never any pressure.  Yoga teachers seem to understand and acknowledge that the act of just showing up is a monumental achievement in itself. 

We transition into vriksasana, or "tree pose."  Standing on one wobbly leg, pressing my foot into my calf and trying keep my hands gracefully pressed into prayer I deeply breath in and out.  I am thinking of nothing but balancing on my right leg, tucking my tail bone, keeping my shoulders down and back and continuing to breath.  We come out of the pose and my brain resets and realizes it was thinking of nothing else.  Balance requires supreme focus and can completely clear your mind.  This can come in many forms; riding a bike, rock climbing or walking a tightrope.  It can also be as simple as standing on one foot. 

Some days I just can't make it to yoga, I just can't make it out of the house.  On those really difficult days when I barely make it to the studio I'm always relieved I did.  Sometimes it's only a very miniscule bit of relief, but on those barely-functioning, lying-on-the-floor-for-hours days that can make a significant difference.  Those days when getting 1% more depressed could push you over the edge, feeling even 1% better (or less worse as it usually feels) after a yoga class can keep you on the other side of the line.  I've never felt worse coming out of a yoga class than when I went in.

As someone who severely under-functions when my depression gets bad, yoga helps keep some practical structure to the day.  This structure allows me to take care of myself.  I know I have to eat at least a few hours before a class and I'm hungry and thirsty after it's done.  My legs get shaved and my hair gets brushed and pinned up.  I usually go to hot yoga which makes a shower afterward necessary.  Laundry has to get done.  Just as maintaining breath is difficult but essential when holding a challenging yoga pose, so is brushing your teeth everyday during a deep depression. 

Yoga has helped me manage the often debilitating symptoms of chronic depression without ANY negative side effects.  Coming to my mat everyday helps me take care of myself off the mat.  Taking care of yourself when you're depressed and hating yourself is an extremely difficult thing to do.  Lying on your back on a big colorful rectangle in a room full of other people on big colorful rectangles helps.  Yoga helps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment